** Please note, the email address [email protected] is not being monitored.**
The Veterans Affairs is temporarily closed.
If you need assistance with your federal VA benefits, please call 800-827-1000.
Thank you for your patience during this transition.
The Guthrie County Veteran Affairs office is located at 200 North 5th Street, Guthrie Center, Iowa. The office can be reached at (000) 000-0000. Courthouse hours are 8:00-4:30. Please make an appointment so that you can be best served.
The Guthrie County Veterans Affairs Commission provides assistance to all eligible Veterans discharged from active military service under honorable conditions and/or their family members in applying for federal benefits and other Veteran’s aid, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Service-connected disability compensation
- Non service-connected pension
- Surviving spouse pension
- Aid and attendance/housebound
- Application for VA Healthcare System
- Headstones and grave markers
- Obtaining Military Records
- Application to Iowa Veterans Home
- Applications for Iowa Veterans Trust Fund Assistance
For more information about services and benefits available to veterans, visit the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs website: va.iowa.gov/benefits.
Veterans Assistance Program
The Guthrie County Veteran’s Relief program is funded by the county to provide emergency assistance for basic needs to resident Veterans and families. Call the office, email , or CLICK HERE for application. Applications can be accepted in person by appointment, by mail, email, and via the drop box at the east entrance of the courthouse. Call the office to find out what documentation you need to provide with your application.
Basic needs available:
- Food and provisions
- Prescription medication
- Transportation (fuel)
- Burial Assistance (note: you MUST make application after death and before burial)
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Veteran with an Honorable Discharge (Under Honorable Conditions/General Discharge is acceptable.)
- Be a resident of Guthrie County
- Meet county income guidelines
- Apply for any and all benefits available from federal, state, and local sources
- Program is for emergency needs that cannot be met by other means